Comparative anthropology of Buddhism workshop: Buddhism and spirit cults
Organized as a collaboration between the Centre for Himalayan Studies and the Southeast Asia Centre units of the French CNRS, a series of day-long thematic workshops in the comparative anthropology of Buddhism is held in Paris over a period of two years (2013-14 and 2014-15), on the general theme of “Buddhist religious fields”.
This year’s first workshop will be held on Friday, 5 December 2014.
Its theme is:
Buddhism and the Spirit Cults Revisited.
Please find the short program below, and the complete program, with abstracts and bibliographical suggestions, here.
All interested scholars and students are most welcome to join us.
Please contact: Nicolas Sihlé (nsihle [at] vjf.cnrs.fr).
Past and future sessions of these workshops:
- The place of teachings in processes of transmission and conversion.
- Variations on the Buddhist gift.
- Buddhism and the State.
2013-14 (1st year of the “Buddhist religious fields” cycle):
2014-15 (2nd year of the “Buddhist religious fields” cycle):
- Buddhism and the spirit cults revisited.
- Gender and Buddhist religious fields: Jan. 30, 2015 (program forthcoming).
- The laity as actors of Buddhist religious fields: May 22, 2015 (program forthcoming).