Comparative anthropology of Buddhism workshop: the laity
Organized as a collaboration between the Centre for Himalayan Studies and the Southeast Asia Centre units of the French CNRS, a series of day-long thematic workshops in the comparative anthropology of Buddhism is held in Paris over a period of two years (2013-14 and 2014-15), on the general theme of “Buddhist religious fields”.
This year’s third workshop will be held on Friday, 22 May 2015.
Its theme is:
The laity in contemporary Buddhist religious fields:
categories, actors, roles.
Please find the short program below, and the complete program, with abstracts and bibliographical suggestions, here.
All interested scholars and students are most welcome to join us.
Please contact: Nicolas Sihlé (nsihle [at] vjf.cnrs.fr).
Past and future sessions of these workshops:
- The place of teachings in processes of transmission and conversion.
- Variations on the Buddhist gift.
- Buddhism and the State.
2013-14 (1st year of the “Buddhist religious fields” cycle):
2014-15 (2nd year of the “Buddhist religious fields” cycle):
- Buddhism and the spirit cults revisited.
- Gender and Buddhist religious fields.
- The laity in contemporary Buddhist religious fields: categories, actors, roles.