Comparative anthropology of Buddhism workshop: politics and religion
Organized as a collaboration between the Centre for Himalayan Studies and the Southeast Asia Centre units of the French CNRS, a new series of day-long thematic workshops in the comparative anthropology of Buddhism is held in Paris this year (2015-16), on the general theme of “Religion and the Secular”.
This year’s first workshop will be held on Friday, 18 Dec. 2015.
Its theme is:
Politics and Religion.
Please find the short program below, and the complete program, with abstracts and bibliographical suggestions, here.
All interested scholars and students are most welcome to join us.
Please contact: Nicolas Sihlé (nsihle [at] vjf.cnrs.fr).
Past and future sessions of these workshops:
- The place of teachings in processes of transmission and conversion.
- Variations on the Buddhist gift.
- Buddhism and the State.
2013-14 (1st year of the “Buddhist religious fields” cycle):
2014-15 (2nd year of the “Buddhist religious fields” cycle):
- Buddhism and the spirit cults revisited.
- Gender and Buddhist religious fields.
- The laity in contemporary Buddhist religious fields: categories, actors, roles.
2015-16 (“Religion and the Secular” cycle):